Tennis at Southdown
Please follow the link about our commitment to Safeguarding
Our Saguarding officer is Mauro Lazzati
Our Safeguarding officer contact email is email@example.com
We recommend that children under 13 are supervised by their parents/carer whilst at the Southdown Sports Club and outside of any venue sessions, such as coaching, squads or tennis camps.
SOUTHDOWN SPORTS CLUB SAFEGUARDING POLICY STATEMENT
The Southdown Sports Club acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and adults at risk. The club is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice and LTA requirements. A copy of the club’s full safeguarding policy is available from reception.
The club’s safeguarding policy recognises that the welfare and interests of children and adults at risk are paramount in all circumstances. It aims to ensure that regardless of age, ability or disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, socio-economic background, all children:
- have a positive and enjoyable experience of tennis at [insert name of club] in a safe and inclusive environment
- are protected from abuse whilst participating in tennis.
The Southdown Sports Club acknowledges that some children, including disabled children and young people or those from ethnic minority communities, can be particularly vulnerable to abuse and we accept the responsibility to take reasonable and appropriate steps to ensure their welfare.
As part of our safeguarding policy the Southdown Sports Club will:
- promote and prioritise the safety and well-being of children and adults at risk
- ensure everyone understands their roles and responsibilities in respect of safeguarding and is provided with appropriate learning opportunities to recognise, identify and respond to signs of abuse, neglect and other safeguarding concerns relating to children and adults at risk
- encourage and maintain a culture where people feel able to raise a genuine safeguarding concern and are confident that it will be taken seriously
- ensure appropriate action is taken in the event of incidents/concerns of abuse and support provided to the individual/s who raise or disclose the concern
- ensure that confidential, detailed and accurate records of all safeguarding concerns are maintained and securely stored
- prevent the employment/deployment of unsuitable individuals
- ensure robust safeguarding arrangements and procedures are in operation
The Club Welfare Officer can be contacted on: 07879642453.
The club’s policy and procedures will be widely promoted and are mandatory for everyone involved in the Southdown Sports Club. Failure to comply with the policy and procedures will be addressed and may result in dismissal/exclusion from the club.
Anyone who does not feel comfortable raising a concern with the Club Welfare Officer should contact the LTA Safeguarding Team directly on 020 8487 7000, the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) or the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000. Further details about whistleblowing can be found in the club’s safeguarding policy.
The club’s safeguarding policy will be reviewed every two years, or sooner in the following circumstances:
- changes in legislation and/or government guidance
- as required by the Local Safeguarding Children Board or LTA
- as a result of any other significant change or event.
We have 16 courts – 2 covered by a ‘bubble’ in winter – with several different playing surfaces: 2 acrylic, 3 artificial grass (all floodlit), 5 hard macadam (2 floodlit) and 6 grass (summer). We also have 2 short tennis courts for junior beginners and a practice wall away from the courts. Courts can be booked, up to two weeks in advance, either on-line or by contacting Reception
Members can drop-in and play in club social sessions several times a week. We encourage and support both new and established players with regular internal competitions in both singles and doubles. We also hold an annual tournament with many events.
We have a first class coaching team with experience at all levels. They offer individual and group coaching for adults and juniors.
There is a very strong Junior programme with coaching six days a week at group and individual level for children from age 3 upwards. Some of our Juniors represent the County at their age level. We organise competitive tennis for our Juniors including hosting tournaments here.
Teams: Currently we run 10 teams in the County leagues at various levels as well as entering some Veteran leagues
Benefits of Membership include:
Social Tennis – just turn up and play
Competitive Tennis – internal and against other Clubs
Social Tournaments accompanied by food and drink
1st class coaching – either individual or group
British Tennis Membership allowing entry into the ballot for Wimbledon tickets allocated to the Club
Easy On-line court booking
TENNIS COMMITTEE 2019/2020
Chairman: Jane Doswell
Men’s Team Selection: Martin Carpenter
Women’s Team Selection: Camilla Ferguson
General Committee Members: David Stechler, Nigel Greenwood, Kate Morley, Ellie Dasent